- Paperback: 480 pages
- Publisher: Harmony; Revised, Expanded ed. edition (November 3, 2015)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 9781101904640
- ISBN-13: 978-1101904640
- ASIN: 110190464X
- Product Dimensions: 6.1 x 1 x 9.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 454 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2.894 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Change Your Brain, Change Your Life: The Breakthrough Program for Conquering Anxiety, Depression, Obsessiveness, Lack of Focus, Anger, and Memory Problems Paperback – 3 November 2015
|New from||Used from|
Amazon Global Store US
"With a cutting-edge, easy-to-apply plan, Dr. Daniel Amen proves you needn't succumb to depression, anger, and other negative emotions. This must-read book provides the key to heal your brain and transform your life."
- JJ Virgin, Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert, Author of the NYT bestsellers: The Virgin Diet & Sugar Impact Diet
- Sara Gottfried MD, Harvard Trained Physician and NYT bestselling author of The Hormone Cure "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life is your manual for fully optimizing your brain. Dr. Amen and I partner with Pastor Rick Warren in creating The Daniel Plan that has helped tens of thousands of people get well by using habits that optimize decision making and brain function. His newly revised book gives readers a powerfully practical exploration into the organ that makes you who you are."
- Mark Hyman, MD, Director of the Cleveland Center for Functional Medicine and the author of the #1 New York Times Bestseller The Blood Sugar Solution. "I consider Daniel Amen to be the most innovative psychiatrist in America. His message is simple, yet profound: you can't have a healthy life without a healthy brain. His dietary and lifestyle strategies to maintain brain health are based on the world's most comprehensive library of brain imaging technology that allows one to observe the impact of his recommendations. If you want a more fulfilled life, this book is a must read."
- Barry Sears, Ph.D., Author of The Zone "After 110,000 brain scans Dr. Daniel Amen is the ultimate expert on how to change your brain so that you can change your life for the better. The discovery of his wisdom and insights will make your life and brain health infinitely better."
- Mark Victor Hansen, New York Times Bestselling Author, Co-Creator of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series and The Miracles In You series "No one knows more about the connection between your brain, your body, and your life than Daniel Amen. This new, updated edition of his classic book is even better than the original, and it belongs in every health library. Highly recommended!"
- Jonny Bowden, PhD, CNS aka "The Nutrition Myth Buster", author of The Great Cholesterol Myth and Smart Fat: Eat More Fat, Lose More Weight, Get Healthy Now
"Revolutionary. Dr. Amen shows how your brain can become your worst enemy, and how with the proper treatment, your best friend."
- Martin Stein, M.D., associate clinical professor of psychiatry, George Washington University "Opens the door to assessment and interventions that can change your life."
- Robert D. Hunt, M.D., associate clinical professor of psychiatry, Vanderbilt School of Medicine "Dr. Daniel Amen's book represents an expert solution not only for better treating brain illness but more importantly for creating a lasting state of brain wellness."
- Cyrus Raji, MD, PhD, UCLA Medical Center, Department of Radiology "This book is a goldmine of practical and easy-to-follow instructions on how you can you can feel sharper, happier, and more in control. Dr. Amen has condensed his 35 years of experience in treating patients with attention deficit disorder, depression, anxiety, OCD, and addiction into a practical program you can follow on your own."
- Majid Fotuhi, MD, PhD, Medical Director, NeuroGrow Brain Fitness Center
About the Author
DANIEL G. AMEN, MD, is a clinical neuroscientist, psychiatrist, and brain imaging expert who heads the world-renowned Amen Clinics. The Washington Post called Dr. Amen the most popular psychiatrist in America, and Sharecare named him the web's #1 most influential expert and advocate on mental health. He is a distinguished fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a nine-time New York Times bestselling author, including Change Your Brain, Change Your Life, Magnificent Mind at Any Age, and Change Your Brain, Change Your Body. He is also an internationally recognized keynote speaker and the star of several very popular public television specials.
No customer reviews
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Review this product
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
This book would be so much better if it focused purely on the science and what behaviors can be modified with actionable tasks/steps people can take (i.e. changing the questions they ask themselves, writing goals on paper, joining support groups)
The authors concept is this: Spend thousands getting your brain scanned, then spend hundreds on supplements he sells for your special kind of brain, and join a church.
That last part is true and helpful--not necessarily joining a church but forming bonds and strengthening human connection. Have a support system.
Of course changing your diet will help too, as most of his supplements work largely because of the forced dietary change.
I was immediately hooked by Daniel Amen’s life-changing proclaimations about his SPECT research, however I soon came to realize he’d refer me back to his other online material that required more monetary investment. Like what many other readers have mentioned, Dr. Amen heavily advertises his other resources throughout his book. Being the curious person that I am, I looked up how much a scan would cost ($3,500 and their clinic does not accept insurance). Fighting back the urge to get a scan, you can still utilize this book. I think the book offers various nuggets of knowledge, but you have to look for it in the river of text. I gained great understanding of the brain—prefrontal cortex, limbic system, basal ganglia, anterior cingulate cortex, temporal lobe—and how deficiencies in these areas may affect your brain. He also suggests remedies to these issues in an organized and concise method plan that Dr. Amen created. He offers both medicinal and natural ways to aid under or over performing areas in the brain, which I find extremely helpful since I believe in a more holistic approach.
I’d say 20% of the book is comprised of educational content, 50% of patient testimonies/stories, 25% SPECT imaging explainations and the last 5% to self glorification.
I enjoyed the science and review of brain neurophysiology in the book and the prospect of actually mapping progression/regression in brain health by taking a WebNeuro test as an alternative to the expensive SPECT scan. The book referenced Dr. Amen's "multiple" websites in which you can purchase the on-line WebNeuro test (important to know which program to follow based on the 'type' of brain you have), purchase the results and recommended program of the 'free' on-online ADD test, purchase his on-line training program, and purchase the very expensive (reportedly "very important") and multiple supplements! There is a free personalized report sent by Dr. Amen is based on an on-line test that depicts which one of the 16 brain types you are, which is not even discussed in this book! The self-help available in the book (and on the free on-line report) is not new...mental exercises (I do like Suduko!), positive thinking, meditation, clean eating, and exercise.
I have used this book with a young client. He's very bright. As he enters middle school, he has gobbled up this book like you wouldn't believe! This book is empowering him to make smarter choices about what he eats, how he engages with others, what he does when he has negative thoughts. I appreciate that there are resources like this to empower not only adults, but also young people. People need to know that they can make lasting and significant changes to their health! There is such a push for pharmaceutical remedies. But your health is in ***your own hands.*** This book has the science, experience, and research to prove it. Thank you, Dr. Amen and colleagues!