- Paperback: 472 pages
- Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell; 3rd edition (March 15, 2019)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1119141400
- ISBN-13: 978-1119141402
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 1 x 9.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 998 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #5.263 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Essential Forensic Biology Paperback – 15 March 2019
|New from||Used from|
Amazon Global Store US
From the Back Cover
A completely revised and updated edition that teaches the essentials of forensic biology, with increased coverage of molecular biological techniques and new information on wildlife forensics, wound analysis and the potential of microbiomes as forensic indicators
This fully revised and updated introduction to forensic biology carefully guides the reader through the science of biology in legal investigations. Full-colour throughout, including many new images, it offers an accessible overview to the essentials of the subject, providing balanced coverage of the range of organisms used as evidence in forensic investigations, such as invertebrates, vertebrates, plants and microbes. The book provides an accessible overview of the decay process and discusses the role of forensic indicators like human fluids and tissues, including bloodstain pattern analysis, hair, teeth, bones and wounds. It also examines the study of forensic biology in cases of suspicious death.
This third edition of Essential Forensic Biology expands its coverage of molecular techniques throughout, offering additional material on bioterrorism and wildlife forensics. The new chapter titled 'Wildlife Forensics' looks at welfare legislation, CITES and the use of forensic techniques to investigate criminal activity such as wildlife trafficking and dog fighting. The use of DNA and RNA for the identification of individuals and their personal characteristics is now covered as well, along with a discussion of the ethical issues associated with the maintenance of DNA databases.
- Fully revised and updated third edition of the successful student-friendly introduction to the essentials of Forensic Biology
- Covers a wide variety of legal investigations such as homicide, suspicious death, neglect, real and fraudulent claims for the sale of goods unfit for purpose, the illegal trade in protected species of plants and animals and bioterrorism
- Discusses the use of a wide variety of biological material for forensic evidence
- Supported by a website that includes numerous photographs, interactive MCQs, self-assessment quizzes and a series of questions and topics for further study to enhance student understanding
- Includes a range of important, key case studies in which the difficulties of evaluating biological evidence are highlighted
Essential Forensic Biology, Third Edition is an excellent guide for undergraduates studying forensic science and forensic biology.
About the Author
ALAN GUNN, PHD, is Principal Lecturer and Subject Leader for Biosciences at the School of Natural Sciences & Psychology, Liverpool John Moores University, UK.
No customer reviews
|5 star (0%)||0%|
|4 star (0%)||0%|
|3 star (0%)||0%|
|2 star (0%)||0%|
|1 star (0%)||0%|