Top positive review
Parent Node has a LAN Out, Child nodes dont have LAN ports.
August 13, 2020
- The google wifi app. Easy/slick setup. You can invite others (eg. spouse) to take control over the wifi.
- You can create group of devices (eg. child's tablet/laptop etc.) where you can pause the wifi with 1 click.
- The google wifi app keeps checking the wifi speed every 2 days - to ensure you're getting the speed you signed up for with the ISP
- The pucks are nice and cute. Not very obstrusive, and blend well with the surroundings. Other Wifi manufacturers have slightly odd shaped routers (Velop, Orbi etc.)
- Child node has Google Assistant (speaker) built in - can play music and do some mundane tasks. Speaker quality is OK
- Great Coverage. Each node has a very good coverage, but like with any wifi - more walls/obstruction = lower coverage.
- Priority device - you can set a device to remain on priority for 1/2/4 hours. In Velop you could perpetually set a device on priority. Not possible in Google Nest Wifi.
- Child node doesnt have LAN ports! I'm coming from a Linksys Velop where all the nodes (parent or child) had 2 LAN ports. I had to invest in a Switch to make up for the lost LAN ports. Annoying.
- Hand off can be 'wonky' sometimes. While i'm on a call (zoom/teams/skype etc.) and move from parent node wifi zone to child node wifi zone - there's an intermittent disconnect for almost a second before it gets picked again. Not sure if i'm being picky. Annoying.