- Paperback: 367 pages
- Publisher: Simon & Schuster (September 25, 2000)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0684865742
- ISBN-13: 978-0684865744
- Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 0.7 x 8.4 inches
- Shipping Weight: 295 g
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3.082 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
'Tis: A Memoir Paperback – 25 September 2000
Maureen Howard The New York Times Book Review 'Tis a success story, after all.
Henry Kisor Chicago Sun-Times 'Tis a grand book. 'Tis indeed!
Jackie Jones Bleecker The San Diego Union-Tribune 'Tis is, finally, a triumphant American story -- the triumph of a teacher...of a writer whose words we can't wait to read.
Gail Caldwell Boston Sunday Globe That magnificent voice is back in full, as captivating and soothing as an on-stage hypnotist. Regaling you from a bar stool or teacher's lectern, McCourt is utterly and always in charge of this tale....A sweet, sweet ode to memory: to the moment-to-moment experience of a real, then reimagined, life.
Mary Ann Gwinn The Seattle Times McCourt establishes himself as a Dickens for our time, a writer who can peel the many layers of society like an onion and reveal the core.
Peter Collier Los Angeles Times Book Review 'Tis has those elements that made Angela's Ashes such a success -- the narrative brio, the fierce sympathy for human tic and torment, the intuitive feel for character and, above all, the love of language and that very Irish understanding that words are our only weapon in our long quarrel with God.
About the Author
Frank McCourt (1930-2009) was born in Brooklyn, New York, to Irish immigrant parents, grew up in Limerick, Ireland, and returned to America in 1949. For thirty years he taught in New York City high schools. His first book, Angela's Ashes, won the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Critics Circle Award, and the Los Angeles Times Book Award. In 2006, he won the prestigious Ellis Island Family Heritage Award for Exemplary Service in the Field of the Arts and the United Federation of Teachers John Dewey Award for Excellence in Education.
No customer reviews
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Review this product
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Arts & Literature > Authors
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Professionals & Academics > Educators
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Movements & Periods
- Books > Literature & Fiction > History & Criticism > Regional & Cultural
- Books > Literature & Fiction > World Literature > United States
- Books > Politics, Philosophy & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Sociology